[Live-devel] Logging or debug info

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at d-pointer.com
Sat May 3 03:20:46 PDT 2014

On 3 maj 2014, at 00:35, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

>> I have a case where I develop both the RTSP server (based on Live555)
>> and the client (based on libav).
>
> Why not use our library for your client as well (and use "libav" just for the decoding)?  I wouldn't be surprised if "libav's" implementation of RTSP/RTP/RTCP were imperfect.  (E.g., if it were to (incorrectly) fail to send RTCP "RR" reports, then that could cause your server to time out the connection.)

The client was started and more or less completed way before I had ever looked in any detail at
Live555. I would more or less have to recreate it from scratch if I were to base it on Live555. Not
to say that isn't an option though if I can't solve the issues.

The server does not time out the stream, as then I'd see in my server code that the stream and all my
components are destroyed. The server side component destruction happens when a client closes
a stream normally or after the standard timeout, but that does not happen now.

>> I'd like to rule out the server side in this equation by
>> getting a bit more information about what it's doing
>
> You could add
>
> #define DEBUG 1
>
> to the start of "liveMedia/RTSPServer.cpp", and recompile.
>
> Alternatively, I suggest using "testRTSPClient" (and/or "openRTSP") as your client.  That should tell you if the problem is with your server, or with your client.

Great, thank you for those debugging tips! Especially the test applications will quickly show me if
there is any data delivered at all.

--
Jan Ekholm
jan.ekholm at d-pointer.com