[Live-devel] channel mapping question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon May 19 12:32:19 PDT 2014

Note that this mailing list is specifically for questions about/discussion of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software.  It is not intended for general questions about RTSP, RTP or RTCP.  If your organization is interested in hiring me as a consultant/technical advisor for general architectural issues regarding streaming media, RTSP/RTP/RTCP etc., then please contact me via separate email.

Nonetheless...
> So I send two SETUP commands to the server:
>
> SETUP rtsp://some.url/trackID=1 RTSP/1.0
> CSeq: 4
> Transport: RTP/AVP/TCP;unicast;interleaved=0-1

If you are using VLC (or 'LibVLC') as your RTSP client, then the RTSP protocol exchange, and RTP/RTCP packet reception and media rendering is taken care of automatically.  You do not need to know or care about the specific details of how this all works.

But if instead you are developing your own RTSP client application - that doesn't use 'LibVLC' - then you should not include a false "User-Agent:" header that claims otherwise.  (If you're not using the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software - or VLC/LibVLC, which uses the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software, then you definitely should not be claiming to be using it, because "LIVE555" is a trademark of "Live Networks, Inc.".)

> When I was playing around with just the FIRST (video) SETUP command (without the audio SETUP), I observed messages in RTP payload for BOTH channel# = 0 AND channel# = 1, although I don’t know what the latter data was for.

The 'odd-numbered' channels are for RTCP packets.  Again, if you're using the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software (or VLC/'LibVLC'), then RTCP is implemented automatically, and you don't need to care about it.  But again, if you're *not* using the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software, then this mailing list is not appropriate.