[Live-devel] current position, time problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 12 05:28:57 PST 2014

> We have "Amino A139 STB" , and live555 server running on "Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64)”.

Linux ‘distributions’ (such as ‘Ubuntu’) usually contain old, out-of-date versions of the LIVE555 Streaming Media software.  Please make sure that you are running an up-to-date version of the software.

I suggest using the pre-built Linux binary “live555MediaServer” application, available from
	http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/ <http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/>

Note also that to perform ‘trick play’ operations when streaming a MPEG Transport Stream file, you will need a corresponding ‘index file’.  This is described here:
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html>

> Elecard Vod server packets to Amino STB: (correct position value)
> RTSP/1.0 200 OK
> CSeq: 13
> Session: 0B79DEDA10ED9DA693BAEC052DC8E0E86CEEFB07
> Server: Elecard Video On Demand Server 3.0.37159.131022
> Elecard-SessionID: 000000000000022E
> Range: npt=0.000000-7983.040000
> Allow: SETUP, TEARDOWN, PLAY, PAUSE, DESCRIBE, GET_PARAMETER, OPTIONS
>
> position: 9.760000

Amino apparently uses a RTSP “GET_PARAMETER” command - with a parameter name of “position” - to request that a server return the ‘Normal Play Time’ (i.e., current position in the stream).  This is completely non-standard, and I will not consider adding *any* such support to the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software unless I am contacted *directly* by ‘Amino Corporation’ (not just by some intermediary).

See also <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-October/017626.html <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-October/017626.html>>

I recommend that you instead use some other - more standards-compliant - set-top box client, other than ‘Amino’.