[Live-devel] Creating live tsx file or Updating existing TSX file

Chapman, Michael J michael.j.chapman at lmco.com
Sat Nov 15 09:57:46 PST 2014

Hello,

I am recording a transport stream file that needs to support rtsp trick play as it is being recorded (with minimal delay with respect to the live video source). I already have the logic for recording the stream and it will save the ts file to the filesystem in segments (so the file will continually be growing until the recording is stopped). We are using Live555 Media Server to allow rtsp playback of our recorded video files. We are also generating tsx files so the rtsp playback can support trick play. However, in order to support trick play while we are recording, we are continually re-creating the tsx file. We are using the newest released version of MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer to generate the tsx files and, as noted on your site, the tsx file generation can take quite a while for larger video files.

Is it possible to create the tsx file as I am recording and continue indexing as new data if received (so having the indexer block and wait for new data) while also having that partially complete tsx file be used with the Live555MediaServer for trick play? Or can I create a tsx file (when the file has 1 min of video) and then later update the tsx file (at 2 min of video) without having to re-index that first 1 minute of video?

>From what I can tell, the functionality that I need does not exist with the current MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer file. However, could it be updated to support this? Or could you explain how I could update the indexer via subclassing (assuming the tsx file structure and MediaServer logic supports this case)?

Thank you,

Michael Chapman