[Live-devel] TLS over RTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 8 12:17:15 PDT 2014

> * Why is not recommended use RTSP over TCP?

Just to be clear, the RTSP protocol (the 'control protocol') is always over TCP.  By default, however, the *media* packets (i.e., RTP/RTCP) are sent over UDP.  It is possible, however, to also stream the media packets (RTP/RTCP) interleaved over the RTSP (i.e., TCP) connection.  The basic reason why this is not recommended - unless you're behind a firewall that blocks UDP packets - is that the media (RTP/RTCP) packets are intended to be 'real time' data, and by carrying them over TCP, you're introducing often excessive (and usually unnecessary) delay, and also making the streaming less data efficient,

> * Our camera work inside of a home, and push to cloud servers, I think in this scenario, UDP will be not an issue, right?

Do you mean "UDP packets will not be able to pass between your clients and servers"?  Perhaps they will; why not try it and check?

> * Has live555 a library to push from Android?

Are you asking it the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code can run on 'Android'.  Yes it can; remember that 'Android' is basically just Linux.  So use one of the "config.linux*' configuration files when you build the software.

> * Can guide me to some documentation, about how to extend business logic with your server?

I'm not sure what you mean by "extend business logic" (that sounds like marketing talk :-), but remember that there's a limit as to how much advice/help I can dispense 'for free' on this mailing list.

I suggest that you start by looking at our "openRTSP" application - http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/ - and also reviewing the code for the "testRTSPClient" demo application.