[Live-devel] Multicast Interface

Anthony Clark clark.anthony.g at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 11:44:32 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I know how routing works ;)
>

> Well, your use of a “@gmail.com” email address announces to the world
> that you don’t know much of anything (and it’s why your email to the list
> is moderated).  Just saying :-)

Haha! There are issues with gmail now? Sigh .. I figured I'd get less help
supplying my workplace address and not all of us have personal domains ;).
I'll do that from now on.

> I have one single interface in AP mode and the kernel will *never* choose
> it for mcast routing even though a route is present, mcast is enabled, etc.
>

> If you have a single interface on which IP multicast routing is enabled,
> but IP multicast doesn’t work, then that sounds like a bug in your system
> somewhere (perhaps a device driver).

It was an issue with kernel 3.13 ... updated to 3.15 and an opensource
driver. It's fixed for now. It's no longer a live555 issue.

>  Even a WiFi interface in Access Point mode (assuming that that’s what you
> meant by “AP mode”) should be able to send/receive IP multicast.

I had to stop assuming this sort of thing for 802.11 devices... especially
where only closed-sourced drivers exist.

> As I said before, setting one of your interfaces (but no other) to have a
> route for 224/8 is usually the most reliable way to have it chosen for IP
> multicast.  But if that doesn’t work, you can try setting the global
> variables “SendingInterfaceAddr” and “ReceivingInterfaceAddr” to explicitly
> set the interface that you want to use.  (But that’s definitely not 100%
> reliable either.)

As an aside - From a networked library writers perspective, I wonder when
it's appropriate to allow forcing an interface (ie - ignoring routing) ...
anyways. Thanks. This issue is closed.