[Live-devel] Multicast Interface

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 29 11:02:35 PDT 2014

Well, your use of a “@gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>” email address announces to the world that you don’t know much of anything (and it’s why your email to the list is moderated).  Just saying :-)

> I have one single interface in AP mode and the kernel will *never* choose it for mcast routing even though a route is present, mcast is enabled, etc.

If you have a single interface on which IP multicast routing is enabled, but IP multicast doesn’t work, then that sounds like a bug in your system somewhere (perhaps a device driver).  Even a WiFi interface in Access Point mode (assuming that that’s what you meant by “AP mode”) should be able to send/receive IP multicast.

As I said before, setting one of your interfaces (but no other) to have a route for 224/8 is usually the most reliable way to have it chosen for IP multicast.  But if that doesn’t work, you can try setting the global variables “SendingInterfaceAddr” and “ReceivingInterfaceAddr” to explicitly set the interface that you want to use.  (But that’s definitely not 100% reliable either.)