[Live-devel] Shared Library Support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 1 02:03:34 PDT 2014

> I have found the forked Live456 project on GitHub that adds support for shared libraries, but which has had no changes for the last 2 years. If I were to port this support back to the Live555 codebase, what would the chances be of this work being accepted upstream and what would the acceptance criteria be?

It is very unlikely that we'd accept a patch that includes significant changes to large numbers of files, especially changes that are specific to Windows.  However, other people on this mailing list have presumably developed LIVE555-based applications for Windows that use shared libraries - without making significant changes to the supplied LIVE555 source code - so perhaps they would be interested in sharing how they did this.

Most companies that have used our code have been satisfied with the LGPL.  However, if it turns out that the LGPL won't work for you, then relicensing (a snapshot of) the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code under some other license (e.g., a simple BSD or MIT-style license) is something that we will consider doing - but not lightly (nor cheaply!), and for serious customers only.  (Should this be something that you're interested in, please have your management contact me, via separate email.)