[Live-devel] openRTSP-saved h264 stream cannot be played by VLC and HTML5 video tag

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Apr 4 19:12:35 PDT 2015

> I have tested openRTSP on my IP camera (H264 stream). It saves .mp4 file without problem.
>
> 1. The .mp4 file can be played by Linux Mint's default videos player, but cannot by VLC.
>
> VLC shows "undef" stuff.

VLC is not our software.  Bugs (or apparently bugs) in VLC should be reported to a VLC mailing list.

> 3. I tried using VLC command "vlc -vvv rtsp://address <rtsp://address> -sout file_name.mp4”

What VLC does here is different from what “openRTSP” does.  “openRTSP” - because it does not do any media decoding/encoding - simply saves the media data (from the RTSP/RTP stream) ‘as is’ into a file.  VLC, on the other hand, ‘transcodes’ the media data - i.e., first decoding it, then reencoding it.