[Live-devel] Provide multicast and unicast stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 20 06:53:28 PDT 2015

> The RTSP spec allows a server to provide multiple transport options for a single stream, e.g, unicast or multicast, but I can't figure out how to do this with the live555 library.

You can’t.  The server (specifically, the “ServerMediaSubsession” object, identified by ‘stream name’) specifies the characteristics of the stream (including whether it’s unicast or multicast).

> Currently I am creating two streams for the same (live) source and appending either '_unicast' or '_multicast' to the URL

Yes, this is the way to do it (i.e., using different stream names, with a “PassiveServerMediaSubsession” for multicast, and a “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” (subclass) for unicast).  Note that you can use a “StreamReplicator” to make two copies of your live source; delivering one copy to the “PassiveServerMediaSubsession”, and the other copy to your “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” (subclass, with “reuseFirstSource” True).

> I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find anything relating to this since I guess it would be a common requirement?

Actually, it’s not :-)

> I did notice that the live555mediaserver doesn't support it which suggests that the library doesn't support this either? but openRTSP does support explicitly requesting a multicast stream.

Note, FYI, this email from January 2007:
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2007-January/005776.html