[Live-devel] Broadcasting to UDP?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Aug 29 22:54:19 PDT 2015

> - My idea is to reduce as much as possible the bandwidth usage in the network, so probably the ideal scenario would be to program the camera to multicast its stream and have the clients connect directly to that one... am I right?

Yes - provided, of course, that the clients are all on the same LAN (or else IP multicast routing is enabled between your server and client network(s)).

> - If the camera or video server is not programmable for multicasting, is it at all possible to open a single connection to the camera from one client and then direct my clients to "tap" on the RTP video stream to that single client without creating a duplicate UDP video stream for each?

Sorry, I don’t understand this question.  (However, you might (or might not) find our “testRelay” demo application useful; see “testProgs/testRelay.cpp”.)

> - I had modified the proxyServer application to rebroadcast the camera streams but that was not very useful since still each client had to open an RTSP connection to the specific IP address of my server, so I guess that also created duplicated streams in the network. I will follow your advise to try and multicast with the "testH264VideoStreamer" app and see how it goes. I think I can use the "input" part of proxyServer and combine it with textH264VideoStreamer to be able to re-stream a live stream via multicast, am I right?

No, because the proxy server code works by creating multiple unicast connections - one for each front-end client.  It does not work for multicast front-end clients.