[Live-devel] How to execute openRTSP by an user without sudo permissions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 11 03:22:52 PST 2015

> I'm facing difficulties related to the openRTSP execution. I want to kill and start openRTSP from a Perl script that owns the user www-data.
>
> The thing is: when I execute openRTSP as root, my video files are created without any problems. When my perl script executes the same command through exec(), but without sudo permissions, I get videos that VLC can't open.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> What is keeping openRTSP from working or what path openRTSP uses that my script isn't allowed to access?

There is nothing inherent in “openRTSP” that should prevent it from running properly if it’s not running as “root”.

The problem appears to be in your OS (somehow).  Perhaps it’s (somehow) preventing non-root processes from receiving data on the RTP/UDP ports that “openRTSP” uses?

Do you have a firewall (on the same computer)?  If so, I’d check to see whether it restricts ports based on user type (root or non-root).