[Live-devel] [Live_devel] RTCP handling in RTSP client

Jooil Chang jichang at coretrust.com
Thu Feb 26 22:13:36 PST 2015

Hi, I have some questions.

In my setup, my RTSP client for VOD uses another RTSP library(CURL), and
RTSP server is live555.

(Due to the some reasons, I cannot use openRTSP for the client)

Because CURL only handles RTSP commands, I need to implement RTP receiver
part myself.

Question 1)

I have read live555 FAQ that says, to synchronize separate streams like
audio and video, RTCP is needed. If so, should I also implement RTCP
handling in my client?

Question 2)

When I stream TS file with audio and video from VLC, its SDP shows audio and
video media description separately.

But when I stream the same file from live555 media server, SDP only shows
video media,

in this case I can hear audio, and when I save output with -v option(video
only) in openRTSP,

output file also has the audio track.

Why does this happen?

In this case is RTCP also needed?