[Live-devel] Support for remote streaming.

Jeff Shanab jshanab at jfs-tech.com
Fri Jul 10 17:08:39 PDT 2015

I think Ross may have missed the bit about different subnets.

I noticed your email indicates you work at Samsung.  I work at Exacq
Technologies and have done alot with Samsung cameras and we use live555.
My usual contact at Samsung is ByungJin Son [byungjin.son at samsung.com].

When there is more than one subnet, there is usually a router.

RTSP and live555 does Multicast or Unicast, but you still need a router.

If the two subnets are in the same machine, ie 2 NICs you can put the
static routes there.

If  "remote" means camera sits behind a firewall, then you need firewall
rules to open ports to the outside world and probably NAT translation.

I have personally however,  done a very similar thing Live555 does with the
RTSP Register command. Google "RTSP Register"

Have the device (IP Camera?) reach out to a known server with the SDP
packet. This starts a session thru a firewall. Just like how you can go to
a website.

Then the remote server passes the socket to live555 and live555 can start
the normal RTSP conversation right thru the firewall.

There are a few ways to do this, what exactly are you trying to do? Push
video? Pull from behind a firewall?    Ever heard of Sercomm, they have
have an interesting protocol.