[Live-devel] build IOS app with live555 library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 15 06:14:27 PDT 2015

> We have just made a new start up.

Does your start up not have its own domain name.

> We are wanting to build an application that can stream form IOS device to an other devices. I find out that live555 is one of the best libraries for streaming. It is very very suitable for us to use in our application. But there is one problem is that live555 is licensed under LGPL which conflicts with IOS app store.

That’s correct.  You cannot use the Open Source “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code in an app that’s distributed through Apple’s ‘app store’; see
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license

> Are there any way for us to use live555 library in our IOS app?

Most companies that have used our code have been satisfied with the LGPL.  However, relicensing (a snapshot of) the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code under some other license (e.g., a simple BSD or MIT-style license) is something that we will consider doing, but not lightly (nor cheaply!), and for serious customers only.  (Should this be something that you're interested in, please have your management contact be, by separate email.)