[Live-devel] Using RTP/RTCP over TCP, sendDataOverTCP retry

Erik Oomen erik.oomen at zepcam.com
Wed Jul 15 12:13:24 PDT 2015

I’m using live555 to stream H264+PCMU audio between two servers (both are bare Linux 64bit under my control).  Due to firewall reasons I have chosen to use TCP. The sending server has 100Mbit FD, the receiver has 20Mbit FD bandwidth, 8 hops between them and average 9msec RTT.

For some reason the sender will stop sending because the sendDataOverTCP is seeing EAGAIN on a regular basis (every minute more or less).  Perhaps due to congestion, a saturated line or something like that (however, ping times between the servers do not indicate saturation.)

My question:  What is the reason to not use ‘forceSendToSucceed’ for the framingHeader in sendRTPorRTCPPacketOverTCP?  Because, this is causing my stream to stop.

Changing the forceSendToSucceed in first  sendDataOverTCP in RTPInterface::sendRTPorRTCPPacketOverTCP fixes my problem:
   if (!sendDataOverTCP(socketNum, framingHeader, 4, True)) break;

Erik Oomen