[Live-devel] Simultaneous streaming and capturing

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jul 23 00:23:27 PDT 2015

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Piotr Piwko <piotr.piwko at embedded-engineering.pl> wrote:

> Unfortunately, because of the way that AVI files are designed, it is not possible to update them continuously - in a way that allows them to be used while they are being written.
> (btw, the same applies to “.MP4” and “.MOV” files.)
>
> I see. Could you please recommend some other format which supports such functionality?

If your streams contain just one media type - i.e., just video or just audio - then you could write an ‘elementary stream’ file instead.

E.g., if your stream is H.264 video, you could feed the received video data into a “H264VideoFileSink”, and you will then get a file that could be played (or re-streamed) while it’s being recorded.