[Live-devel] Axis firmware 5.6

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 3 08:56:37 PDT 2015

> We use live555 to receive video and audio RTSP streams from cameras (and we show the video in our application). Our solution worked well for older Axis cameras, but it doesn't work for newer Axis cameras, which firmware is 5.6 or later.
>
> The problem is that the stream stops after 1 minute. This is the typical timeout, so camera most probably doesn't get/accept the keep alive message. Note that I use the onvif RTSP stream (rtsp://[ip]/onvif-media/media.amp <rtsp://[ip]/onvif-media/media.amp>).
>
> Some days ago I downloaded 2015.05.31 version of live555 library and I built testRTSPClient and did tests with this. It ran for 30 minutes for our old camera (then I stopped it), but it stopped after 1 minute with the new Axis camera (firmware 5.6).
>
> I also tried VLC with the same stream, it worked well after 1 minute. I also tried to modify my code, and send OPTIONS command in every 10 seconds, and that also worked. Maybe VLS do similarly.
>
> Do you have any idea what can be the problem? Is it an Axis firmware problem?

Probably.  However this is not an “Axis” mailing list.  Problems with “Axis” cameras need to be reported to Axis itself.

It appears that - with your newest “Axis” firmware - the RTSP server in your network camera does not recognize incoming RTCP “RR” packets (from the RTSP client) as indicating client ‘liveness’.  (Apparently, in the older version of the firmware, your camera either recognized incoming RTCP packets as indicating client liveness, or (more likely) did not time-out RTSP clients at all.)

As you noted, you can overcome this problem by sending “OPTIONS” commands periodically.  (Every 10s seems excessive, though.)  A better solution, however, is to report this problem to “Axis”, and tell them to fix their firmware to use incoming RTCP “RR” packets to indicate client ‘liveness’.