[Live-devel] New version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code - restructures the "RTPServer" class

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 10 05:37:29 PDT 2015

> Adding:
> friend class RTSPServer;
> to:
> GenericMediaServer::ClientConnection
> seems to fix the “cannot access protected member”.
>
> Grumble…  I can do this, but in principle a base class like “GenericMediaServer” shouldn’t have to be told about a specific subclass (in this case, “RTSPServer”).  You should really fix your compiler (perhaps an upgrade is available?).
>
> Thank you, it compiles OK now. I believe it was down to RTSPServer not being a subclass of theGenericMediaServer::ClientConnection class, and so requiring explicit access.

Yes, but every other compiler seems to be happy with having
	friend class GenericMediaServer;
in "GenericMediaServer::ClientConnection”, and don’t require having
	friend class RTSPServer;
there as well.

Once again: Please check whether an upgrade to your compiler is available.

> I also notice this comment:
> // needed to make some broken Windows compilers work; remove this in the future when we end support for Windows
> Are there any plans to remove support for Windows users?

Probably not anytime soon, but it may happen at some point in the future if the number of Windows-specific incompatibilities with the rest of the world continues to increase, and the importance of Windows continues to decline.  (Here in Silicon Valley, it seems that almost nobody bothers with Windows anymore.)