[Live-devel] rtsp url case sensitivity

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 10 06:04:49 PDT 2015

> I would like to have Live555 ignore the case of rtsp url's as a workaround for this VLC problem:
>
> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/11428 <https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/11428>

No, this seems to be a problem specific to VLC (which is not our software).  As far as I can tell (from the link that you included), the problem is that VLC is storing old URLs somewhere, and then doing a case-insensitive match when checking whether a newly-entered URL has been used before (and then - if there’s a match - reusing the previous URL rather than the new URL).  This appears to be happening outside the LIVE555 software (which VLC uses when its acting as a LIVE555 client).

If, however, you can identify a specific problem with the LIVE555 code (identifiable by using LIVE555 RTSP client code - e.g., “openRTSP” or “testRTSPClient” - only), then let us know.

If, on the other hand, you’re asking that LIVE555 RTSP *servers* ignore the case of stream names in URLs, then the answer is again No - because some server developers might want to allow their server to support more than one stream, whose names differ in case.  (Also, stream names might be ‘internationalized’ - i.e., encoded as UTF-8 - and case-insensitive comparison might not work (or work incorrectly) if performed on UTF-8 stream names.)