[Live-devel] Simultaneous Recording and Viewing

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 11 18:53:52 PDT 2015

> We’ve got an app that’s successfully using the live555 library to record multiple streams using the QuickTimeFileSink, but now customers want to be able to view that stream at the same time it’s being stored. I’m guessing that’s a fairly common feature request, but I haven’t found any references on the topic.
>
> Since the basic workflow is to set up the Sink and then send it the startPlaying() command, my impression is that using the same packets for multiple purposes would be tricky.

No, not really, because we have a class called “StreamReplicator” that will take one data stream (“FramedSource” subclass) as input, and produce two or more ‘replica’ data streams as output.  See
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/doxygen/html/classStreamReplicator.html <http://live555.com/liveMedia/doxygen/html/classStreamReplicator.html>
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/doxygen/html/StreamReplicator_8hh_source.html <http://live555.com/liveMedia/doxygen/html/StreamReplicator_8hh_source.html>
and note also the “testReplicator” demo application (in “testProgs”) that demonstrates how to use this class.