[Live-devel] UDP packets appear to be empty, forcing switch to TCP in VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 8 11:37:11 PDT 2015

> We were getting the datagrams, but code inside GroupSock.cpp line 314 was checking that the address matched the advertised address, and returning with bytesRead still equal to zero, despite a successful read.
No, that happens only if the call to “isSSM()” returned True - i.e., only if the stream is ‘source-specific multicast’ - which is definitely not the case here (you’re streaming via unicast).  So that’s a ‘red herring’.

> QuickTime still does not play the stream and neither does the flash player that I need to get working (https://github.com/AxisCommunications/locomote-video-player <https://github.com/AxisCommunications/locomote-video-player>).  However, with the change to the framing, the flash player now appears to get much further along.
Your first test should be with “openRTSP”.  Your next test after that should be with VLC <http://www.videolan/org/vlc/ <http://www.videolan/org/vlc/>>.  If both of those work OK, then you should be good.  I don’t know whether QuickTime Player will play standards-compliant H.264/RTP streams (it probably does, but Apple stopped supporting QuickTime long ago).  And I’d have no expectation of any ‘flash’ player being able to play a standards-compliant H.264/RTP stream; if it does, then count yourself lucky.

(In any case, we’ve probably pretty much reached the limit in how much assistance I can provide ‘for free’ on this mailing list.  If your company is interested in having me consult further on your project, then please let me know (via separate email).)