[Live-devel] UDP packets appear to be empty, forcing switch to TCP in VLC

Dave McMordie mcmordie at viionsystems.com
Tue May 12 08:25:08 PDT 2015

> No, that happens only if the call to “isSSM()” returned True - i.e., only
> if the stream is ‘source-specific multicast’ - which is definitely not the
> case here (you’re streaming via unicast).  So that’s a ‘red herring’.

isSSM() is definitely returning true.  Any thoughts on what I could be
doing to encourage this?  This seems to be the only issue preventing the
UDP mode from working-- although I have discovered numerous other issues
with our code (especially the fact that we block your scheduler).

[image: Inline image 1]

>    1. QuickTime still does not play the stream and neither does the flash
>    player that I need to get working (
>    https://github.com/AxisCommunications/locomote-video-player).
>    However, with the change to the framing, the flash player now appears to
>    get much further along.
>
> Your first test should be with “openRTSP”.  Your next test after that
> should be with VLC <http://www.videolan/org/vlc/>.  If both of those work
> OK, then you should be good.  I don’t know whether QuickTime Player will
> play standards-compliant H.264/RTP streams (it probably does, but Apple
> stopped supporting QuickTime long ago).  And I’d have no expectation of any
> ‘flash’ player being able to play a standards-compliant H.264/RTP stream;
> if it does, then count yourself lucky.
>
> (In any case, we’ve probably pretty much reached the limit in how much
> assistance I can provide ‘for free’ on this mailing list.  If your company
> is interested in having me consult further on your project, then please let
> me know (via separate email).)

That's fair enough.  Once I have the scheduler blocking issue resolved,
I'll reach out.  We do need some help and we certainly have budget for it.

Thanks again for your help.