[Live-devel] registering urls at proxy server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat May 23 13:50:37 PDT 2015

> Another question (I am sorry if some things are naturally for you, but a lot of stuff is new for me). I am using the proxy server of live555 and another tool to register urls at the proxy server. Suppose there is an requirement that urls can change dynamically, which means the new url has also to be registered. Do I have to unregister the old url or will it be deleted automatically? Or does it depend on which part of the url changes (back-end stream or front-end client)?

If you want to change the URL (i.e., the 'stream name' part of the URL) that’s used by ‘front-end’ clients, then you can do so simply by adding a new “ProxyServerMediaSession” with this new 'stream name’ - perhaps using the “REGISTER” mechanism.  (The old “ProxyServerMediaSession” object can be removed from the server later - or you can just leave it in place.  Note, however, that there’s currently no ‘unregister’ protocol that allows you to remove the “ProxyServerMediaSession” object remotely.)

If you want to change the ‘back-end’ stream source (i.e., use a different ‘back end’ stream URL), but use the same ‘front-end’ URL (i.e., with the same ‘stream name’) as before, then you’ll have to remove the existing “ProxyServerMediaSession” object, and then create a new "ProxyServerMediaSession” object (with the same stream name).  The creation of the new "ProxyServerMediaSession” object can be done using the “REGISTER” mechanism, but (once again) there’s currently no ‘unregister’ protocol that allows you to remove the original "ProxyServerMediaSession” object remotely.