[Live-devel] Bad performance with 4 or more clients at proxy server

Frank van Eijkelenburg frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
Fri May 29 05:06:53 PDT 2015

Hi,

In my test setup I have one back-end stream and a proxy server running.
When I connect to the proxy server with a VLC player and play the
stream, everything is working fine. However, when I start multiple VLC
players and have them playing the same stream, I will get a bad
performance after starting the fourth VLC player (the image quality is
very bad and the framerate seems to be very low). The cpu load is very
low and the network traffic also seems to be no problem.

I already tried to increase the buffer size in the RTSPServer
(increaseSendBufferTo) to 2 MB, but it does not result in a better
performance. By the way, I also increased the buffer size at the OS
(Linux) with sysctl net.core.rmem_max.

Do you have any idea what could cause this performance issue? When I
connect to the back-end stream directly (without proxy) and while I have
a bad performance at the other VLC players, I will receive a correct
normal image stream (good quality and framerate). So the back-end stream
is not the problem.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

*Frank van Eijkelenburg* Lead Designer

*T* +31(0)182594000 | *E* frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
*A*Burgemeester Jamessingel 1, P.O. Box 2013, 2800 BD Gouda, The
Netherlands | *W*technolution.com

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.