[Live-devel] client port number at proxy server

Frank van Eijkelenburg frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
Sun May 31 23:23:57 PDT 2015

On 30-05-15 07:34, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> In my situation, I have multiple cameras with a unique ip address and
>> port number, but the remaining url could be the same as another
>> camera. When using the proxy server I can register both back-end urls
>> but not at different ports (because only one port is used when
>> creating the RTSPServerWithREGISTERProxying object).
>
> I’m not sure I understand what you’re referring to here, but I suspect
> that you may be confused about which port numbers are used where.  The
> proxy server’s port number is the port number that 'front-end clients
> use when communicating with the proxy server.  However, the port
> number that’s used by the ‘back-end’ stream is the one that’s
> mentioned (either implicitly or explicitly) in the “rtsp://“
> <rtsp://%93> URL that you register with the proxy server.  (By
> default, this port number - if it’s not included explicitly in the
>rtsp://“ <rtsp://%93> URL - is 554, but if can be any other port
> number.)  Or alternatively, if you use the ‘REGISTER’ mechanism asking
> to reuse the TCP connection, then the ‘back-end’ stream’s port number
> will be whatever ephemeral port number was used to receive the
> ‘REGISTER’ command .  In either case, this port number (which can be
> different for different ‘back-end’ streams) is completely independent
> of whatever port number is used by the proxy server.
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Hi Ross,

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I can explain it a bit more with an
example.

Old situation: Clients directly connect to different back-end streams
(i.e. cameras). Suppose we have two cameras with the following url:
Camera 1: rtsp://192.168.1.1:1234/camera_stream_1
Camera 2: rtsp://192.168.1.2:4567/camera_stream_2

New situation: Clients connect through a proxy server with the back-end
streams. Suppose the proxy server is started and both urls are
registered. When instantiating the proxy server the proxy port is
specified at 7621:
     RTSPServerWithREGISTERProxying::createNew(*env, 7621, NULL, NULL,
65, False, verbosityLevel)

For the back-end streams the clients have to play either the url
rtsp://172.16.1.1:7621/camera_stream_1 or
rtsp://172.16.1.1:7621/camera_stream_2. There is only a difference in
the url suffix, not in the used port (both are 7621).

The problem is, I have cameras in my network which have the same url
suffix (camera_stream_equal). How can I distinguish (from a clients
point of view) between these cameras? I guess the only way to make a
difference is to give both cameras a unique url suffix when registering?

--

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

*Frank van Eijkelenburg* Lead Designer

*T* +31(0)182594000 | *E* frank.van.eijkelenburg at technolution.nl
*A*Burgemeester Jamessingel 1, P.O. Box 2013, 2800 BD Gouda, The
Netherlands | *W*technolution.com

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.