[Live-devel] Support for 'Speed" Option on RTSP 'PLAY'

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat May 30 11:39:21 PDT 2015

Sarma,

Thanks for the note.  I’d be happy to add support in “RTSPClient” for the ”Speed:” parameter (as it’s part of the RTSP standard (albeit rarely used)).  However, I have some comments/questions about the mechanism that you’re using:
1/ Remember to upgrade to the latest version of the code (I see that you’re using a version from 2014).  There have been several improvements and bug fixes (including to “RTSPClient”) since then.
2/ You don’t need “setSpeed()” functions in “MediaSession” or “MediaSubsession”, because the “speed()” function returns a “float&”.  I.e., your calling code could just do (e.g.)
	session<-speed() = 2.0;
instead of
	session<->setSpeed(2.0);
3/ I don’t see where - in “RTSPClient” - you’re ever setting the ‘speed’ value (that your code checks to determine whether or not it needs to include a “Speed:” parameter in the “PLAY” request.  Presumably you need some function in the “RTSPClient” API that allows calling code to set that value.  I wouldn’t want to add this parameter to the (already crowded) “RTSPClient::sendPlayCommand()” function, because it’s going to be so rarely used.  Instead, you could add a function like
	void RTSPClient::setSpeed(MediaSession& session, float speed = 1.0);
that would set the ‘speed’ parameter to be used in subsequent “PLAY” commands.
How were you intending to set this value?