[Live-devel] AAC-hbr converted to lower case in proxy server causes gstreamer to not detect decoder type

Craig Matsuura cmatsuura at vivint.com
Wed Nov 4 23:37:22 PST 2015

Hi Ross,

We have run into an issue where the AAC-hbr in the sdp appears to be converted to lower case aac-hbr for the proxied sdp header. This breaks gstreamer from detecting the aac decode type. As this probably should not be failing in gstreamer. I think changing the delivered mode type is probably not the best thing to do.

I used openRTSP to dump out the sdp header of my camera and the mode is AAC-hbr as expect and gstreamer can play the audio track. However if I take this same stream from this camera and proxy it will not play.

I noticed in the changelog.txt back in 2014.08.23 the function attrVal_strToLower was added to solve a problem.  If you look at the constructor of the  MPEG4GenericRTPSink it converts the mpeg4Mode to lower case for comparison. So is it necessary to lower it before and here?  If passed in as found in the SDP and not converted to lower case gstreamer will play it correctly.

 The pipeline I used to test this is as follows:

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin2 uri=rtsp://camera_ip:554/play2.sdp

If you run a proxyServer to the above camera, it will not play audio.

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin2 uri=rtsp://proxy_ip:8554/proxyStream

Using openRTSP you can grep for hbr and you will see that when using the proxy the mode is converted to lower.

openRTSP -Q -d 1 rtsp://proxy_ip:8554/proxyStream 2>&1 | grep hbr

a=fmtp:97 streamtype=5;profile-level-id=1;mode=aac-hbr;sizelength=13;indexlength=3;indexdeltalength=3;config=1410
a=fmtp:97 streamtype=5;profile-level-id=1;mode=aac-hbr;sizelength=13;indexlength=3;indexdeltalength=3;config=1410

 openRTSP -Q -d 1 rtsp://172.16.10.101:554/play2.sdp 2>&1 | grep hbr
a=fmtp:97 streamtype=5;profile-level-id=1;mode=AAC-hbr;sizelength=13;indexlength=3;indexdeltalength=3;config=1410
a=fmtp:97 streamtype=5;profile-level-id=1;mode=AAC-hbr;sizelength=13;indexlength=3;indexdeltalength=3;config=1410

Again, gstreamer should probably handle it, but on the other hand should the proxy really be converting it to lower case, and just use it as delivered from the camera?

Thanks,
Craig