[Live-devel] OnDemandRTSP server (UDP) over Internet

Franco Miceli franco at radixcast.com
Tue Oct 13 19:26:37 PDT 2015

Thanks Ross for your answer.

I am currently behind NAT as you mention. Couldn't I just use port
forwarding in order to have my server on a DMZ?

What I mean is this:

Public_IP:Port ----- FWD To ------ Private_IP:Port

For each one of the ports mentioned above.

My clients would connect on the public side and be forwarded to the
internal server, right?

Best Regards,

> I have developed a RTSP server that serves unicast clients with a stream
> from a live source.
>
> I have based my development on the testOnDemandRTSPServer implementation.
>
> Over LAN everything works as expected. The problem I am having is that
> over the Internet I cannot use UDP as a transport for RTP, it just does not
> work.
>

> OK - so you appear to have a firewall that is blocking UDP packets.
>

> I have opened and forwarded the following ports to the server:
> UDP 6970 - 6971 (I have seen these ports being used over LAN)
>

> These ports are sufficient if you have only one client.  If you have (or
> anticipate) up to N concurrent clients, then you will need to open ports
> 6970 through 6970+(2*N-1).  Note that the base port number - 6970 - is the
> default value of the “initialPortNum” parameter to the
> “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” constructor.  You can change this if you
> wish.
>
> Note, however, that this will work only if you have just a firewall.  If
> you also have NAT (Network Address Translation) on your server’s network,
> then you *won’t* be able to run your server there.  In other words, you
> cannot run a server on a network with private IP addresses, and expect
> clients on the public Internet to be able to contact it.  (Instead, you’ll
> need to run your server on the public Internet (or perhaps run a proxy
> server there).)
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/