[Live-devel] OnDemandRTSP server (UDP) over Internet

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 13 14:20:22 PDT 2015

> I have developed a RTSP server that serves unicast clients with a stream from a live source.
>
> I have based my development on the testOnDemandRTSPServer implementation.
>
> Over LAN everything works as expected. The problem I am having is that over the Internet I cannot use UDP as a transport for RTP, it just does not work.

OK - so you appear to have a firewall that is blocking UDP packets.

> I have opened and forwarded the following ports to the server:
> UDP 6970 - 6971 (I have seen these ports being used over LAN)

These ports are sufficient if you have only one client.  If you have (or anticipate) up to N concurrent clients, then you will need to open ports 6970 through 6970+(2*N-1).  Note that the base port number - 6970 - is the default value of the “initialPortNum” parameter to the “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” constructor.  You can change this if you wish.

Note, however, that this will work only if you have just a firewall.  If you also have NAT (Network Address Translation) on your server’s network, then you *won’t* be able to run your server there.  In other words, you cannot run a server on a network with private IP addresses, and expect clients on the public Internet to be able to contact it.  (Instead, you’ll need to run your server on the public Internet (or perhaps run a proxy server there).)