[Live-devel] transcoding a videostream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 1 12:41:44 PDT 2015

Sorry, but I don’t see how your question has anything to do with our software.

From what I can tell, you are using VLC to transcode a RTSP/RTP stream.  Although VLC uses our “RTSPClient” code to access the ‘back-end’ RTSP/RTP stream, it doesn’t use any of our code at all (including our ‘proxy server’ code) to do the transcoding, nor to implement the RTSP server for the ‘front-end’ stream.  (When VLC acts as a RTSP server, it uses its own RTSP server implementation - not ours.)

You *could*, if you wish, implement your own LIVE555 transcoding filter (e.g., using FFMPEG/libAV) and plug that into our “ProxyServerMediaSession” - to implement a transcoding LIVE555 Proxy RTSP server.  But that’s not what VLC is doing; it uses its own software to do this (except for accessing the ‘back-end’ RTSP/RTP stream).

So, you should be asking your question on a VLC mailing list.