[Live-devel] LIVE555 usage on iOS

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 29 15:34:22 PDT 2015

No.  As explained in the FAQ, the LGPL (used in the publicly-distributed “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code) requires that people be able to replace - at any time - the LIVE555 library with another version (i.e., using the same API).  That’s not possible with apps that are distributed with Apple’s ‘app store’ (because Apple restricts which apps it allows into their ‘store').

However, relicensing (a snapshot of) the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code under some other license (e.g., a simple BSD or MIT-style license) is something that we will consider doing, but not lightly (nor cheaply!), and for serious customers only.  (Should this be something that you're interested in, please have your management contact me, by separate email.)