[Live-devel] What are the consequences of increasing RTCP.cpp::maxRTCPPacketSize?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 15 02:24:32 PDT 2016

> The camera is a Honeywell H3W1F with firmware V40.0.6
> Running wireshark shows in the SDP it is using "tool:LIVE555 Streaming Media v2012.01.13”
> Why do you think upgrading will fix the issue? Is the older LiveMedia software not fully compliant to all implemented standards?

No, the problem is that old versions of the LIVE555 software (including the version 2012.01.13 that this network camera uses) has bugs in the way that it implements streaming of RTP/RTCP-over-TCP - that will trigger the “RTCPInstance error: Hit limit…” error message that you’re seeing in the RTSP client.  (There is also a known security vulnerability in this old version of the code.)  That is why you should upgrade (notwithstanding the fact that LGPL license requires that this be made possible).

> I might still be able to update LiveMedia on the camera over time because the company I work for (Xtralis) has just been acquired by Honeywell.
> Right now we don't even know who to contact at Honeywell to discuss this matter.

Once you find out who to contact, then I suggest that you remind them of their obligations under the LGPL; see
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#copyright-and-license