[Live-devel] ProxyServer switching backend source

Saskia van Emst s.vanemst at robotsecuritysystems.com
Tue Apr 19 04:18:58 PDT 2016

Hi all,

First of all thanks a lot for the software ☺

For an IP camera, connected to wireless networks, I’m using the proxy so that the stream can be viewed multiple times without increasing the bandwidth over the wireless link.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to let the proxy switch the backend stream to a different rtsp url. When a certain event is triggered (e.g. the connection switches from Wi-Fi to 4G) I would like the proxy to serve a different back-end stream on the same front-end url.

For example:

1. rtsp://proxyserver/video-stream <- rtsp://ip-cam/highquality
2. Connection switches, some trigger is sent to the proxy server
3. rtsp://proxyserver/video-stream <- rtsp://ip-cam/lowquality

With the REGISTER command using the included test program I can include a new stream, but when I specify an existing [proxy-URL-suffix] I get '451 Invalid parameter'.
I guess this means this scenario is simply not supported, and only new back-end streams can be added?

Would it be possible to do something like this, and if so would it be very hard to implement or could there be a quick fix?

If I change the image parameters in the camera then the stream keeps working so I guess it is possible to change quality/resolution of a stream while it is being viewed.

Thanks for any input / ideas.

Best regards,

Saskia van Emst