[Live-devel] ProxyServer switching backend source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Apr 19 11:41:16 PDT 2016

No, the only way to change the back-end stream - in a way that is ‘seamless’ to the front-end clients - is to make the change in the back-end stream itself (i.e., in the stream’s encoder).

> If I change the image parameters in the camera then the stream keeps working so I guess it is possible to change quality/resolution of a stream while it is being viewed.

Yes, and this is the approach that I would take - especially if you want *all* front-end clients to seamlessly see the new stream (and none to continue seeing the old stream).

However, one thing that you *could* do with the proxy server is:
1/ Remove the existing “ProxyServerMediaSession” (by calling “removeServerMediaSession()” on the proxy server), then
2/ Create a new (replacement) “ProxyServerMediaSession” (for the new stream), and add it to the server (by calling “addServerMediaSession()”).
If you do this, than any existing front-end clients will continue to receive the old stream (not the new stream), but any new front-end clients will receive the new stream.

(If, in step 1/, you were to call “deleteServerMediaSession()” instead of “removeServerMediaSession()”, then any existing front-end clients will be closed down; they would then have to explicitly re-open the proxy stream in order to start getting the new stream.)