[Live-devel] While investigating 'garbled' audio, Wireshark dump shows oddity

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 4 04:44:51 PDT 2016

> Starting from sequence number 22221 and ending with 22449, all the packets have the same timestamp 4276629357. Is this easily explainable by some mechanism

Yes, it tells you that the packets (when fed into the “SimpleRTPSink” object) had the same “presentation time” - which is wrong.

You should check whatever ‘upstream’ object is delivering audio frames into your “SimpleRTPSink”.  You should make sure that it sets “fPresentationTime” correctly, before completing the delivery.

Also, a reminder that LIVE555 programmers should never have to deal with RTP timestamps directly.  Our software automatically uses RTCP to convert presentation times to RTP timestamps (when transmitting) and back to presentation times (when receiving).  Presentation times are all that you need to think about.