[Live-devel] sending metadata within RTP packet

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Dec 12 12:59:12 PST 2016

> I want to send some metadata with the rtp packets (e.g. putting them in rtp extension).
> As I searched live555 does not support sending rtp extension so is there any way to send such metadata in current live555.

As you noted, we currently do not support RTP header extensions.

However, depending on the type of ‘metadata’ that you wish to send, it may be possible to use an existing RTP (or new) payload format, to send them in separate RTP packets.

For example, if your metadata is in text form, then you may be able to send it using a “T140TextRTPSink” - i.e., using the RTP payload format defined in RFC 2793.