[Live-devel] sending metadata within RTP packet

Chris Richardson (WTI) chris at gotowti.com
Mon Dec 12 14:38:34 PST 2016

Hello,

> I want to send some metadata with the rtp packets (e.g. putting them in rtp extension).
> As I searched live555 does not support sending rtp extension so is there any way to send such metadata in current live555.
> Or are you aware of any patch that adds such functionality to live555?

Attached you will find a patch implementing support for RTP header extensions in LIVE555.

To use this on the server side, you will need to override the MultiFramedRtpSink::doExtensionHeaderHandling and MultiFramedRtpSink::extensionHeaderSize functions.  In your override of doExtensionHeaderHandling, you will need to set the header data via one of the new methods setExtensionHeaderWord or setExtensionHeaderBytes, then call setExtensionHeaderBit to indicate that you placed extension header data.

To use this on the client side, you will need to set a header extension callback by calling setExtensionHeaderCallback on the RTPSource object that LIVE555 creates for you.  The callback will then be called when a header extension is processed.

Thanks,

Chris Richardson
WTI