[Live-devel] Need advice on best way to proceed.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 3 06:02:45 PDT 2016

> If you look at the ONVIF Device Test Tool (which you can only acquire if your company has a paying Onvif membership)

No, this company is not a member of ‘ONVIF’ - and will certainly never pay for an ‘ONVIF membership’.

I’ve said it several times before, but apparently I have to remind people of this yet again: ‘ONVIF’ is *not* a standards organization.  (Instead, they’re an 'industry consortium’.)  The organization that sets the standards for RTSP (and RTP and RTCP and WebRTC) is the *IETF*.  Although this ‘ONVIF’ crowd has apparently appropriated and modified/extended the IETF RTSP standard for their own purposes, and have written documents that describe this, they have *never* submitted these documents to the IETF - and consequently their modifications/extensions cannot be considered Internet standards.

I’m also peeved at this consortium because apparently several of their members - apparently in a coordinated effort - have taken the liberty of using the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code in their own implementation of network cameras - but without the courtesy of ever consulting with me for advice about this, and (even more importantly) in doing so, frequently violating the conditions of our code’s LGPL copyright.

If you want to deal with proprietary stuff like ONVIF, then you can do so using someone else’s software, and using someone else’s mailing list.

Discussion of ‘ONVIF’ is off-topic for this mailing list.