[Live-devel] RTP over TCP streaming

David Cassany Viladomat david.cassany at i2cat.net
Wed Mar 23 08:50:40 PDT 2016

> > I have some doubts about how to stream RTP over TCP.
> >
> > I am trying to do so without RTSP
>
> Why?  The whole point of the RTP-over-TCP implementation is that it uses
> the existing TCP connection that’s used to send RTSP commands.

Ok I see, I was a bit afraid to face an issue like this. I noted that those
features where mostly used in the RTSP client/server.

> It might conceivably be possible to make RTP-over-TCP work with some other
> TCP connection that you’ve (somehow) set up ‘by hand’ between your two
> endpoints - but why bother?  You certainly won’t get any support from me
> for doing this.

Actually you are right, this is an unsuited request. It may be easier to
just configure the RTSP client to force RTP over TCP streaming. This stupid
question just passed through my mind because we tunnel the comunication
through different network emulators (for Wimax, LTE, etc.) and at some
point we needed some specific ports control (so that in UPD streaming we
where not using RTSP). For some reason I imagined that in RTP-over-TCP (via
RTSP) there could be some "unmanaged" (or more precisely, not managed by
us) port assignement for the communication in parallel of the RTSP socket.
I makes total sense to reuse the TCP socket of the RTSP protocol and it
fits my needs as I have control enough over that.

The solution was so simple and in front of me. Thanks for the comments and
sorry for the stupid question.