[Live-devel] Issue with RTSP server, MPEGTS_RTP and successive client connections

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 25 09:57:58 PDT 2016

> I am using the following chain :
> Grabbing picture -> FFMPEG encoding with RTP_MPEGTS output, over UDP -> RTSP (live555 library)

Are you using the “MPEG2TransportUDPServerMediaSubsession” class for this?

> Everything is working perfectly for the first client connection. But if i close the client, wait a few minutes, and then re-open the connection to the RTSP server, the client are not able to decode the stream (tested with VLC and FFPLAY). On VLC side, i am getting plenty of "Picture too late to be displayed".
>
> The issue does not seem to came from FFMPEG, because if i decode the RTP_MPEGTS directly, it is always working properly.
>
> Do you have any explanations/fix for this issue, wich occurs always after the first successful connection ?

No.  But if your FFMPEG Transport Stream source and your RTSP server are on the same host, then you might find it simpler (and more reliable) to connect them via stdio (i.e., using a pipe) rather than via UDP.  I.e., instead of using a “MPEG2TransportUDPServerMediaSubsession”, use a “MPEG2TransportFileServerMediaSubsession”.  Use “stdin” for the “fileName” parameter.  Use NULL for the “indexFileName” parameter.  Set the “reuseFirstSource” parameter to True.  Then run
	your-ffmpeg-encoding-application | your-rtsp-server-application

Also, in general, it’s better to first test new RTSP servers using the “testRTSPClient” and then “openRTSP” client applications, before trying something more complicated like VLC.