[Live-devel] where to set the IP TOS field

Virginia Hamm liverwurst at owal.io
Mon Nov 7 17:13:01 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>
wrote:

> > In order to get better performance over WIFI when doing RTP over TCP
> interleaved, I am setting the IP TOS field to "expedited forwarding" and I
> am doing that in the following function:

If you don't want to mess with the code, and if you are using Linux, you
can use iptables to set the tos field:

iptables -v -A OUTPUT -t mangle -m owner --uid-owner totolos -j TOS
--set-tos Minimize-Delay

In this example, I'm  doing the simplest thing possible and assuming that
your code is running under its own userid, and that you want all packets
sent out to have that TOS.  You can, of course, use any selectors that
iptables supports, such as cgroups, or a list of ports, or whatever.

\/-/