[Live-devel] (no subject)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 5 15:27:52 PDT 2016

> I need help with SAP/SDP.
> Can anyone point me to a working software implementation that has SAP working?
> I'm working with RTP streams and would like to use SAP to send the SDP, I find it very impractical to use a SDP file.

We have a demo application “sapWatch” (in the “testProgs” directory) that listens to and outputs SAP announcements.  We don’t have a demo application that *outputs* SAP announcements; however, that should be easy to write (using an IP multicast “groupsock” object, and a “BasicUDPSink”).

However, I don’t recommend using SAP, because (1) it’s restricted to IP multicast networks, and (2) few media player applications support listening to SAP announcements.  Instead, I suggest using RTSP - i.e., including a RTSP server with your data source, as illustrated by our various “test*Streamer” demo applications (e.g., “testH264VideoStreamer”), and described in our FAQ: http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html