[Live-devel] Order of frames

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 7 06:27:37 PDT 2016

> My question is - what will be if due to some reasons frames enumerated as 1 2 3 4 5 will come to client in order 1 2 3 5 4 ? Is live555 give it to us as 1 2 3 4 5 furthermore or not ?

Yes, when receiving a RTP stream, the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code (specifically, the subclasses of “MultiFramedRTPSource”) will automatically handle out-of-order RTP packets, and will re-sort them into the correct order (unless a out-of-order packet arrives later than the ‘packet reordering threshold time’ (by default, 100ms)).

An application that uses a “MultiFramedRTPSource” subclass does not need to concern itself with RTP sequence numbers (or RTP timestamps); our code handles those automatically.

> And what will be if i call setPacketReorderingThresholdTime with 0 parameter ? 1 2 3 5 and we will lose 4 th frame ?

Yes, in that case, if the packets were to arrive in order 1 2 3 5 4, then - once packet 5 arrives - the code would not wait for packet 4 to arrive.  (That is why you should never call “setPacketReorderingThresholdTime()” with a parameter of 0.  Note that the “setPacketReorderingThresholdTime()” parameter causes a delay *only* when a packet arrives out-of-order.  In the normal case (packets arriving in order), it adds no delay at all.)