[Live-devel] Multi-File Streaming

Randy Scheifele rjscheif at motorolasolutions.com
Wed Sep 7 08:56:14 PDT 2016

Ross,

Thanks for the pointers.  I agree that the system is complex, and
unfortunately, given the constraints, I think it has to be.

Anyway, if you care, I narrowed down the problem to the difference
(probably in my use or understanding) between the MPEG4VideoStreamFramer
and the MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer.  I was previously using the
MPEG4VideoStreamFramer because my client was concatenating RTP packets to
achieve a desired file size.  Using this setup, VLC kept complaining about
"picture is too late to be displayed".  I modified the code to have the
client only write out single RTP packets which I believe will be single
MPEG4 frames, and I substituted the MPEG4VideoStreamFramer for the
MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer and everything works wonderfully now.

I noticed there were a few comments of "HACK ####" in the
MPEG4VideoStreamFramer around setting of the fPictureEndMarker.  Is this
something that was intended to be fixed?

Thanks again,
Randy

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 1:59 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>
wrote:

> > The current setup is using an Axis camera as device A that is pointed to
> a digital clock that can display seconds.  It is streaming MPEG4-ES data,
> so I am using the MPEG4VideoFileServerMediaSubsession (with the exception
> that I am passing in my ByteStreamFolderSource instead of the
> ByteStreamSource).  When I connect to C via VLC, the video plays but
> several seconds into the video, the frames start to get choppy and
> occasionally I will see the seconds on the clock go backwards and then jump
> forwards.
> >
> > Is the reason for this choppy video because the Live555 RTSP server does
> not have access to the correct time stamp information and/or SDP metadata?
>
> I don’t know enough about your (IMHO, excessively complex) custom
> application to know for sure what’s going on.  However, if you’re seeing
> video that’s several seconds in the past, then it must be because that
> video got delivered to server “C” out of order - somehow.  (Either that, or
> else server “C” is streaming the data out of order (e.g., due to a file
> name ordering bug).)
>
> But again, the complexity of your custom application far exceeds what I
> can meaningfully answer on this mailing list ‘for free’.
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Randy Scheifele