[Live-devel] order of frames

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 7 10:02:31 PDT 2016

> now is only my question is "what will be with a frames not packets". If frame consists of 5 packets and some of them were stolen or threshold time was exceeded - what will be with a frame? Will we get it furthermore or not?

If a frame (or a “NAL unit”, in the case of H.264 or H.265 video) is fragmented across more than one RTP packet, then if *any* of these RTP packets is lost, then our receiving software will (obviously) not be able to reconstruct the complete frame (or “NAL unit”), and will not deliver any of it to the receiver.  I.e., as far as the receiver is concerned, the entire frame (or “NAL unit”) will have been lost.

A corollary of this, when streaming H.264 or H.265 video: Your video encoder should break large ‘key frames’ into multiple ‘slice’ NAL units, rather than encoding it as a single (extremely large) NAL unit.  (This is something I’ve noted numerous times on this mailing list :-)