[Live-devel] Regarding Incomplete packet reads for RTCP packets in interleaved streaming(RTP/RTCP over TCP)

Heena Sirwani heena.sirwani at gslab.com
Fri Sep 30 01:48:05 PDT 2016

Hi All,

We are using the Live555 streaming software for streaming Audio/Video in
one of
applications. We use the RTP/RTCP over TCP streaming mode(interleaved RTSP).
We have added some logs for letting us know of incomplete packet reads in
the RTCP Instance and we see a lot of incomplete reads happening. Though
this may not be an issue since the rest is read anyway, we noticed that
these incomplete reads increased when we streamed from VLC clients. When we
streamed from a web application, we did not notice a lot of incomplete
reads happening for RTCP packets. Also I have noticed that the
maxRTCPPacketSize is set to 1450 and if the bytes read are less than that,
we set "packetReadWasIncomplete" to True.
While reading the RFC for RTP, I have seen a dynamic adjustment for RTCP
packet size which is calculated based on all packets received and sent to
adapt to changes in control information sent. I was wondering if these
changes in RTCP packet size are made, do we still want to read 1450 bytes
before saying we have read an entire RTCP packet?

Thanks,
-Heena