[Live-devel] Regarding Incomplete packet reads for RTCP packets in interleaved streaming(RTP/RTCP over TCP)

Heena Sirwani heena.sirwani at gslab.com
Fri Sep 30 05:05:33 PDT 2016

On 30 September 2016 at 17:13, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> > We are using the Live555 streaming software for streaming Audio/Video in
> one of
> > applications. We use the RTP/RTCP over TCP streaming mode(interleaved
> RTSP).
> > We have added some logs for letting us know of incomplete packet reads
> in the RTCP Instance and we see a lot of incomplete reads happening.
>
> Are you referring to the warning messages:
>         RTCPInstance error: Hit limit when reading incoming packet over
> TCP. Increase "maxRTCPPacketSize”
> ?

No I am not referring to those. I am referring to incomplete packet reads
for RTCP packets.
Specifically where the flag "packetReadWasIncomplete" is set.
We have logs for the stream IDs for which incomplete packet reads are made
and they have odd numbers which mean they are RTCP packets.
Here are some example logs for 2 streams from the camera:

RECEIVED PACKET SIZE 52 FOR STREAM ID 1 ON SOCKET 22
 BYTES READ = 52
 RECEIVED PACKET SIZE 52 FOR STREAM ID 3 ON SOCKET 22
 BYTES READ = 0
RTCP.CPP:358 : TCP socket #22, channel id 3 : packetReadWasIncomplete

BYTES READ=0 for every alternately received RTCP packet. And this happens a
lot of times.