[Live-devel] A question on Live555ProxyServer

Chang, Dashan DChang at kastle.com
Thu Feb 23 04:25:30 PST 2017

Hi Ross,

We're currently using live555ProxyServer in our project. During experimenting with it, we noticed live555ProxyServer can only proxy roughly 10-15 cameras concurrently, reliably and stably. If live555ProxyServer is proxying more than that number of cameras, some cameras would not be able to show live view even though you only request  it for one or two cameras concurrently.  This seems to indicate that live555ProxyServer is not running on a demanding base - which means only when a remote RTSP request is received, would live555ProxyServer establish a connection to the backend stream source and relay the source stream to the remote request. Live555ProxyServer should disconnect from its source stream if the remote request is stopped or disconnected.

If live555ProxyServer can be running on a demanding base, that would be a great industrial grade of product. In most of practical scenarios, there would be hundreds or cameras in use. However in a particular moment, there would be a few concurrent requests for live view of cameras. In this way, we can use Live555ProxyServer to proxy hundreds or even thousands of cameras and show live view only based on a few of demands in any moment.

My question is: can you create such a version of live555ProxyServer working like that? I think we can even pay you for that.

Thank you very much!
Dashan Chang