[Live-devel] Performance degradiation in Windows

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 5 23:42:23 PST 2017

> We are encountered significant performance degradation when ports live555 to windows from Linux.
> Even though Window server has more powerful H/W spec. then Linux.
>
> Test scenario
> 1. Run live555MediaServer (not modified)
> 2. Connect client to server stream (H264, 720p, 2mbps, RTP over TCP)
> 3. Increase client until video broken, skip...
> - See video in VLC player
> - Check VLC log something like "picture is too late to be displayed (missing 88 ms)…"

First, I presume that you’re not trying to run more than one copy of VLC on the same computer.  (VLC doesn’t scale well if you run multiple copies of it on the same computer.)

In my experience, problems like this are often caused by running into an (operating system-imposed) limit on the number of sockets that your application can have in use at any time.  See
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#scalability